Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ASH WEDNESDAY

ASH WEDNESDAY

Even on Ash Wednesday, I am moved to indulge in sharing personal feelings. I am mourning the book title “Lesser Feasts and Fasts” in lieu of the proposed “Holy Women, Holy Men.” As I was becoming an Episcopalian and eventually owning my own Lesser Feasts and Fasts to accompany my office books to pray the daily office, I came to appreciate the word “Fasts” in the book title “Lesser Feasts and Fasts.” For me, this was a hook to knowing and remembering the two fast within the Calendar of the Church Year which happen to be Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Ah, but what better thing to do to kick off Lent, mourn a bit. Mourn our own mortality. Everything, but everything moves on no matter how hard we try to control it. I’m all for moving on, I just needed to lament that title’s passing.

I happen to own a 1973 Copyright of Lesser Feasts and Fasts. The first edition was published in 1964. FASTING

I will be working my regular shift this Ash Wednesday. I work in a position where my duties require me at times to be making life and death decisions. I can’t afford to be fuzzy-headed or light-headed because of fasting for an entire day. I plan on fasting part of the day, but not all of the day today.

ABSTAINING

Ash Wednesday will mark my first day of abstaining from meat.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment