Saturday, April 3, 2010

CURRIED QUINOA WITH CHICKPEAS AND ALMONDS

I made this dish once before years ago when the Dining for Two cookbook came out with Weight Watchers in 2004. The first time I tried using quinoa was with this recipe. I haven’t made it much since then, mostly because I was so overly busy in nursing school, and then being a new grad nurse.

I made this Thursday – so I could have it available for my lunches over the next several days. I also set aside a portion for a friend of mine (who follows this blog). When I made it I doubled the recipe so I could share (we all need to share more of what we prepare) and also so I could have it available for meals at work. I avoid our cafeteria. The food is mediocre, the prices are outrageously expensive, and the employees are just plain mean to customers.

I’ve listed the recipe as written below. What I ended up with isn’t exactly as written below. How often is life NOT exactly what we expected. Lesson: be flexible with your expectations. One way my dish is different is that I purposely omitted the toasted almonds because the person I share with can’t tolerate nuts. I will sprinkle toasted almonds on top when I eat a bit when I am at work tonight. Another way my dish is different is that I MADE A MISTAKE and read the garbanzo beans as one can instead of ½ can, so the dish pictured has lots of extra garbanzo beans. No problem. I’ve learned that I like ‘red’ quinoa when I can find it. I am out of red quinoa, I was thinking of buying more, but really I had a lot of plain quinoa so this was an opportunity to use up some of that.

<><><>

CURRIED QUINOA WITH CHICKPEAS AND ALMONDS

½ cup quinoa, rinsed
½ cup orange juice
½ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion chopped
1 garlic clove minced
½ cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
½ 10 oz. can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
2 Tablespoon sliced almonds toasted
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
¼ cup golden raisins
2 scallions chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated orange zest


Combine quinoa, orange juice, water, curry powder, ½ teaspoon of the salt, the cumin, and allspice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed 12-15 minutes.

Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and peas and carrots; cook stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Sir in the chickpeas and almonds; cook stirring about 2 minutes longer. Remove the skillet from the heat, then stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.

Transfer the quinoa mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the raisins, scallions, cilantro, and orange zest; toss well. Stir in the chickpea mixture and serve at once or let the mixture cool to room temperature before serving.
Per serving (1 ½ cups); 422 calories, 10 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg chol, 110 mg sodium, 75 g carb, 10 g fiber, 14 g protein, 126 mg calcium. POINTS: 8


SOLI DEO GLORIA




No comments:

Post a Comment