Monday, April 26, 2010

VARIATION ON A THEME



Just because I haven’t posted recently doesn’t mean I am less interested in blogging. Like anyone, I have competing priorities in my life.

I’ve mentioned before that expressing what I am eating (through this blog) just makes me more mindful of what I am eating. Expressing what I am eating has sparked conversations within my own circle of friends, family, and coworkers of the food choices we all make.

Before I blogged, for vegetarian choices I basically switched between the BOILED BEANS recipe the RICE & HERBED LENTILS recipe. Not much variation. A couple weeks ago I tried substituting the rice in the RICE & HERBED LENTILS for Wild Rice (as suggested by my mother), and I found that I really liked it, especially if it was topped with sliced toasted almonds.
Well butter-my-butt-&-call-me-a-Parker-House-Roll….I actually ventured myself and thought Quinoa could be substituted for the brown rice. Today I made (based on RICE & HERBED LENTILS) QUINOA & HERBED LENTILS!

I used Red Lentils and Red Quinoa.


Each of the three have had slightly different tastes, textures, and appearances, but none drastically different that would have me never make any one of them again. I would make all of them again.

Since we add ½ cup of brown rice –or– wild rice –or– quinoa to the recipe I decided to compare nutrition information.


For overall taste and texture I still like the brown rice variation the best; however, I would easily venture over to wild rice or quinoa for slightly better nutrition value.

QUINOA & HERBED LENTILS


SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment