Thursday, April 1, 2010

Kashi™ Friendly Fiber Muffins

In the 1960’s and 1970’s there were entire cookbooks devoted to cooking things using already prepared/processed foods and particular brand names from the grocery store. In this current age of the Food Network and “foodies” one doesn’t always admit to shortcuts or that former way of cooking. Often I avoid prepared/processed foods in order to avoid things like high-fructose corn syrup and sodium. Not only do I like to cook, but I also like to just read cookbooks, even if I am not going to make anything. Cookbooks I like to read are often the older ones. I especially like old church cookbooks with the flexible plastic binding.

This recipe, I do make an exception to using a processed food, mostly because it is indeed good for you. I make these periodically for breakfast. I like them because I like the taste and texture and they are good with coffee. I like them because I store them in a relatively airtight container and they keep for a couple of days. They are portable and I can grab one or two of them on the go. I also re-heat them gently sometimes in the microwave.

The recipe is found HERE on the Kashi company website.

<><><>

Kashi™ Friendly Fiber Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder (aluminum free)
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
1¾ cups Kashi® Good Friends® Original cereal
1 cup organic skim milk, rice or soy milk
2 free-range egg whites
¼ cup honey
½ cup organic unsweetened applesauce
1 medium organic ripe banana, mashed
Nonstick cooking spray


1. Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine Kashi® Good Friends® Original cereal and milk and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Add the egg whites and beat well. Stir in honey, applesauce and banana. Add flour mixture and mix only until dry ingredients are moistened (over-mixing will produce rubbery muffins).
4. Fill sprayed muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size 1 muffin, Calories 100, Calories from Fat 0, Total Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 240mg, Total Carbohydrate 22g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 11g, Protein 3g



SOLI DEO GLORIA

1 comment: