Saturday, April 17, 2010

THANKS MOM!

I haven’t been posting in awhile. Lent is over, Eastertide/Spring is in full swing. My silence here has basically been the weight of my day job. I will be off of work both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

People have asked me, are you going to continue to post? I am, when I have those magic ingredients of time and energy. I haven’t run out of things to say.

People have asked me if I’ve gone back to eating meat. Lent on the whole for me was about being mindful – and on the whole I was flexitarian in my approach. While I am eating a little more meat, I am sticking to preparing vegetarian dishes and making vegetarian choices when I can. I promised myself I would have a peppercorn encrusted filet mignon (medium-well-thankyouverymuch) when Lent was over. I still haven’t had it, but still plan on doing so.


This is a photo of what I ate on Easter Day. HAM! (not very Kosher, but there you go)

Which brings me to the post title – Thanks Mom!

One of the earlier posts on this blog is where I share my Rice & Herbed Lentils Recipe. I noted that my mother immediately asked if she could make it with wild rice instead of brown rice. My mother immediately thinks of ingredients she can substitute in about any recipe you give her. She indeed made it with wild rice and said it was ok. Now me, on the other hand, tends to make dishes exactly as the author/chef intended. In order to challenge myself – I made Rice & Herbed Lentils – with wild rice. I made it for a couple of reasons – to try something new, but also to use up some wild rice I’ve had for awhile.

When I first made the dish – I thought it felt short of my expectations. To me, the color was a little on the ‘grey’ side and there seemed to be a bit of leftover liquid in the bottom of the casserole. I took out a portion for work – but as luck would have it – one day I got cancelled half way through the shift and left it for the next day. The next day the catering manager had an extra dish of salad and offered it to me. It wasn’t until the next day after that I tried it. Since my mother told me it was chewy and nutty, I just happened to garnish with leftover sliced toasted almonds from a previous dish. Moreover I garnished with little bits of curly parsley. I think curly parsley is often overlooked in contemporary cuisine. I finally was able to eat the dish at work. The leftover liquid seemed to have soaked in and the flavors and especially the textures were wonderful. So, a new dish – different from the Rice & Herbed Lentil is discovered (Wild Rice & Herbed Lentils). Again, I seldom venture very far past the written recipe – though this got me thinking – that I am going to try the same recipe substituting quinoa for the brown rice. I will keep you posted.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment