Monday, March 15, 2010

EASY CHICKPEA CURRY

Not only are you getting two posts today, this second post is a two-parter.

The first part is some of my comments about today’s recipe as well reader comments about a previous recipe.

Of the recipes I’ve posted, I’ve posted the chef’s original intent, followed by various cooks adaptations on recipes. Those of you who have cooked in my kitchen, cooked along side me in kitchens know I have a personal rule – that if I am cooking something for others – that is NOT the time to test adaptations, I must have a tested recipe if I am cooking for others.

The first two entrée recipes I posted – the Boiled Beans and the Herbed Lentils & Rice, are two recipes I’ve made for over 20 years. Not much of a stretch in trying new things really. But making these two recipes over the years was the foundation of knowing I could truly enjoy vegetarian dishes.

My own mother has been following this blog. (Perhaps this is a blog only a mother could love.) She calls me up and asks.

“Can you make the Herbed Lentils and Rice with Wild Rice?”

I say, “I don’t know – never tried it, and you know Wild Rice is NOT a rice Mom, it’s a grain!”

She says, “I’m out of brown rice.”

I say, “ya can do what you want, but no guarantees.” I add, “who runs out of brown rice!? I will buy you a giant bag of brown rice.”


Imagine all this with a Minnesota accent. She still lives in Minnesota, I in Chicago.

My sister and I will attest, our mother is someone who will change a recipe even before she tries it the first time.

She called me a couple days later to say the recipe was good with wild rice. Same amount as the brown rice -?- , I don’t know.

Today’s recipe “Easy Chickpea Curry” is a newer recipe. The first time I had it, my Provincial within The Brotherhood of Saint Gregory – Br. Nathanael Deward – made it for me. I loved it. I asked where he got the recipe, which was a Weight Watchers cookbook we both owned: “Now & Later” Cookbook published in 2009 – still available in some meeting rooms. I tried making it myself. It was ok, but not as good. One day talking on the phone, I asked what he did differently – substitute the coriander and cumin for hot curry powder (if you like it spicy). If spicy is not your deal, keep the original recipe.

<><><>

Easy Chickpea Curry


1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 red onions finely chopped
2 jalepeño peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
2 (16-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup quinoa rinsed
2 cups water

For some reason, the jalepeños did not make the first casting call of ingredients photo-op

(1) Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add the jalepeños, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.

(2) Meanwhile, mix the quinoa and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes.

(3) Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl. Top with chickpea mixture.

Approx 4-6 servings - 1¾ cup serving – approx 8 points.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment