Monday, March 15, 2010

FORGIVENESS

I am off work today, with a to-do list longer than my day off. I was in the basement of my vintage condominium building and noted that it might be a good day to water the geraniums that I winter there. I put them in the glass block windows and water them two or three times during the winter. The summer leaves usually dry up, and there are usually these large wan leaves that look for the brief winter sun.

I live in a third-story walk-up, I carried the large plastic watering container down all the stairs and made my way by all the basement flotsam and jetsam to the windows. I realized I had not been close to the geraniums as much this past winter and thought I usually water them two or three times during the winter, but could only remember doing it once – and that wasn’t even this year. The geraniums were drier than usual. More dead leaves than usual. A couple had branches or sections that were completely dead. I began to worry I had ruined them. But I watered them any way and pulled away a number of the dried dead leaves from last year.

I returned to the basement about an hour later to put clothes in the dryer and could see how the geraniums had already perked up, looking almost as if I had not ignored them this winter season. I thought to myself how truly forgiving geraniums were, even in spite of my inattention.

I thought there were so many lessons to be learned here about forgiveness and attention, it wouldn’t take much to spell them out, but if you’re reading this, I’ll just let you fill in that blank.


SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment