Thursday, March 4, 2010

MINDFULNESS

A short entry, I have been trying to get a bit more ready for this coming weekend’s Brotherhood of Saint Gregory Province V Spring Quiet Day. So. While I’ve had many thought about blogging, I haven’t had the actual time to do so. Perhaps more next week. What I will share is a link to this particular New York Times article I read a month ago. It was one of the things I had come across that sort of put me into action insofar as being mindful for Lent.

Learning What Food Looks Like Before It Goes Into the Package

I’m not anti-meat. I am anti-mindlessness when it comes to eating/consuming animal protein.

My Lenten vegetarianism isn’t so much about the “what are you giving up for Lent” aspect, but rather for me to actively be more mindful of food I consume and what that means about my place in the world around me.

A number of people who read this blog have asked me on my Sundays where I have eaten meat, they’ve asked what did I eat? What is interesting, is that the first Sunday I had chicken wings and chicken fingers, some bacon, some sausage, and some ham. The second Sunday I had some bacon. (I have given thanks for the lives of those chickens and pigs).

Before undertaking this Lenten endeavor, I imagined (fantasized) that I would be treating myself to peppercorn encrusted filet mignon on Sundays. The reality is I haven’t had the time, money, or desire really. This coming weekend when the Brothers are together I will be having some pork roast. I do look forward to that.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment