Monday, March 29, 2010

KENNETH'S HUMMUS


I tried ANOTHER new recipe today. I made hummus myself for the first time. Recipe told to me verbally by chef Kenneth from “Taste of Thyme: Good & Good for You Food

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, we were talking about LIGHT recipes – I can’t remember if I am to add some olive oil or not – but if you add any, add very sparingly, otherwise the calories begin to add up. The batch I made was without olive oil and was fine by me.

I am thrilled at the economics of making my own hummus. $.89 for a can of Trader Joe’s Garbanzo Beans and $.39 for a fresh lemon from Trader Joe’s as well. It was a bit of an outlay for the tahini, but will only use that 1 Tablespoon at a time. Tahini pays for itself after creating only two batches of hummus. I used ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper & ½ teaspoon ground cumin for spices and it is very flavorful and delicious. I am looking forward to an opportunity where I can make this for others.

My round-up of ingredients shows the blender, but I transferred the concoction to the food processor and I found my old 1980’s food processor worked better than a blender.

<><><>

Kenneth’s Hummus

1 15 oz can of Garbanzo Beans
1 lemon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon tahini
1 clove garlic

Open can of Garbanzo Beans, drain, but reserve liquid. Squeeze or ream and save juice of one lemon. In food processor – mix beans, lemon juice, spices, tahini, garlic clove. Add reserved garbanzo bean liquid until desired consistency. Garnish with lemon zest. Makes 12 oz by weight.

This is zesty, tasty, light and less calories without olive oil.

SOLI DEO GLORIA

No comments:

Post a Comment